This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Lab Manager vs. SCVMM 2012

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Reading through the details of the (now in beta) SCVMM 2012, it looks as though there is a significant overlap between them - what is the future of Lab Manager?

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2011 at 6:06 AM

It is good that features such as grouping of virtual machines, private clouds, and other infrastructure management capabilities are becoming a core part of SCVMM. This will help all the customers using SCVMM to leverage these features. I expect Lab management to continue to leverage these features of SCVMM instead of building its own infrastructure management, and add value by integrating those features with other ALM features in Visual Studio and TFS. For example, Lab management will continue to provide a simpler interface for software testers and developers to create an environment (using SCVMM underneath), perform build-deploy-test automation, or collect diagnostic data from machines in an environment as part of manual or automated testing.

Vijay Machiraju
Principal Program Manager
Visual Studio Test and Lab Management

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Now that SCVMM 2012 RC is available, are there specific plans for Lab Management integration?  We were planning on skipping SCVMM 2008, but are ready to start using Lab Management.  I just realized I may have to have separate host(s) to start working with Lab Management and would really like to avoid purchasing hardware just for this.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Lab Management vNext is going to support both SCVMM 2008 R2 as well as SCVMM 2012. Can you elaborate on your last remark regarding the requirement to have separate hosts? E.g. to do what?

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Thanks for the information.  I assumed eventually everything will sync up, but I have a need now.  We are bringing up a new environment and purchasing hardware for it this week.  We have made a conscious decision to target emminent release software rather than current generation.  As a result we are doing our learning about SCVMM with 2012 beta and now bringing up RC.  We hope to roll this out to our development base if RC (or golden, or whatever) gets a go-live or when the production version is released.

We are simultaneously starting to work with Lab Management.  If the existing Lab Management isn't going to integrate with vmm 2012 in the immediate future (i.e. next 2 months), then I need to plan for that.  My impression is that I can't have 2012 and 2008 manage the same physical host.  Well, actually I came close to trying that and found out I can't (quite reasonably) install 2008 and 2012 console on the same OS instance.  As a result I am assuming that to move forward with Lab Management I must have one or more physical hosts which are managed by vmm 2008.  While we plan to move our developers to hosted VMs for their daily activities and give them SCVMM 2012 capabilities.

Thanks,

jwL

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2011 at 6:15 AM

Jeff:

You are right. The same host cannot be managed by both SCVMM 2008 R2 and SCVMM 2012. Also, the current release of VS and TFS will not support SCVMM 2012 (RC or RTM). For using SCVMM 2012 from Lab Management, you have to wait for at least the Beta of TFS vNext (the timelines of which are not known at this point).

Vijay

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know.

jwL

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Our organization is really excited about SCVMM 2012 and Lab Management and hope that vNext version of VSTS will support full integration with VMM2012.  We have an R&D operation that is geographically dispersed and we have few resources in those sites to take care of a large IT operation for R&D.  Our plan is to deploy a private cloud with clustered Hyper-V servers in each RD site to allow provisioning from lab manager but I understand the current version running with SCVMM 2008 R2 has some limitations in that it will not support clustered Hyper-V servers and will not support VLAN tagging.  Both of these are critical in a cloud deployment.  Does anyone know the likelyhood of these issues being addressed in the vNext of VSTS with SCVMM 2012?

Thanks,

Sean